Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lublin Old Town

I had a stop over in Lublin and went to see the Old Town where my mother used to live during her student days. As you can see, it is quite beautiful. The last photo says, " Are you Jewish?" and it is pretty peculiar for a number of reasons. Lublin had a significant Jewish population which was wiped out after World War II. Throughout the old town, you can see a number of these 'Jewish-themed' photographs that are plastered on buildings that are in a state of disrepair. I was quite surprised by one that said, ' would you want another family living in your home?'. I think that this is in regards to house reclaimation by family members of Jewish people who used to own houses around Poland. The campaign is shocking for a slightly anti-semetic society so I wonder who is behind this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment